Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yummy Summer Salad

First of all I have a sick baby. She has her first cold at seven months old and is none too happy about it. We have the humidifier going in her room and one of those plug in Benalyn cold-scent things that puts the eucalyptus smell in the room as well. She had a long hot steamy shower this morning that helped clear her sinuses out. And she slept a lot. When she was awake she was a little cranky which is so out of character! My poor little angel baby. (And I'm such a dedicated blogger I woke her up taking this picture so I could tell you all about it! Don't worry though, she went right back to sleep. And yes, her eyes are partially open, she sleeps like this quite often. Creepy, isn't it?!)Then the cactus on my windowsill is blooming. I have been taking photos every couple days as this is a slow process, and I will scrapbook them on one layout together, but here is what the cactus bloom looks like today.I used my macro lens for these photos, as the bloom is actually only the size of the tip of your pinkie finger, maybe. Then because we have had a wonderful surge of sunny weather (my son needed sunblock and was wearing a tank top and shorts today and my husband ended up with a sun burn) I decided to break out an old recipe that I love. It's actually called Seven Fruit Salad and was submitted by a Martha Cutler and was published in the 2003 edition of the Light and Tasty magazine. (Now called Healthy Cooking). I am a subscriber, and at the end of the year they send out (for purchase) a hardcover book featuring all the recipes from the issues from the past year, so luckily I still have access to all my favorites!

Don't these look nummy? These are what started the whole fruit salad craving in the first place. Again, I love my macro lens.
So I started with a large can of peaches (don't worry the full recipe is at the bottom lol). And this is also what I love about this recipe, half of it is canned items, and I usually have them on hand so when inspiration hits, voila! A healthy snack is born.

Then I added two small cans of orange segments. Mmm I loves me some orange segments. I know, it doesn't look much different but I showed you the picture anyways. It gets better, wait for it....
Then I added a regular can of pineapple chunks.Cut up a cup of green grapes (I have little mouths that will be scarfing this down!) and added them too. Need to add some color!Then I added a cup quarted strawberries. Mmmm. Berries. Who doesn't like strawberries? Seriously. I love eating them dipped in sugar. Anyways, focus!! I added strawberries.And lastly I added in 1 cup of cherry pie filling.
Mix up this fantabulous concoction and your dessert/snack/breakfast is ready. Isn't it beautiful??
I don't think it even looks as luscious and gooey as it actually is. The pie filling makes kind of a glaze that is just sweet enough. Have a closer look:
Now, you may be saying to yourselves, "Now Rose, peaches, oranges, pineapple, grapes, strawberries and cherries - that's only SIX fruits. I thought this was SEVEN fruit salad?" I have to admit, since trying this recipe six years ago, I have never had blueberries on hand when I've made it. I asked my husband to bring some home, and if the store didn't have any to bring blackberries instead, but he didn't bring either, so I just omitted them. That's my little secret. Well, not anymore. hehe. This is a very versatile recipe though and you can change it up any way you like.
This is great so many ways! Top with a little dream whip and a mint sprig to make it look fancy. Add some yogurt and granola for a healthy, delicious breakfast. Switch out the fruits to make it different, use what's seasonal. I actually hollowed out a watermelon and made a dessert basket filled with this salad for a family reunion once. Disclaimer: This is not a photo of the actual salad I made, but...it's close enough and you get the idea hehe.

So here it is...{insert drumroll}...as featured in Light & Tasty Magazine:

Seven Fruit Salad

This refreshing fruit medley, lightly coated with cherry pie filling, makes a great picnic dish. You can substitute other fruits, such as red grapes or bananas, and use strawberry pie filling instead of cherry. -Martha Cutler

1 can (29 oz) reduced sugar sliced peaches, drained
2 cans (11 oz each) mandarin orange segments, drained
1 can (20 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
1 cup green grapes
1 cup halved fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup reduced sugar cherry pie filling

In a large bowl, combine the peaches, oranges, pineapple and pie filling. Add the strawberries, grapes and blueberries, stir gently. Store leftovers in the refridgerator. Yield: 10 servings.

Nutritional Info: 1 serving = 3/4 cup = 104 calories, trace fat, 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fruit
Enjoy!

No comments:

Beware the few racy photos...thought it was worth it to see all the other ones!